: Freek Van der Herten
Laravel Package Training
Learn how to create a Laravel package and become the next package maestro
Become the next maestro! With over 200 packages released with over 75 million downloads, the Spatie team knows what they're talking about. Dive into the thoughts of the people who brought you quality packages like laravel-permission, laravel-backup, browsershot, laravel-medialibrary and learn how to program, test and maintain your own packages.
What will you learn:
• Creating a framework-independent PHP package
• Basic structure, testing, GitHub actions, Packagist, ...
• Building a Laravel package
• Build a real Laravel package from scratch
• Spatie source packages
• Get a tour of real life examples
4 hours of content
For all the functionality added to the package, you will learn how to automatically test it both locally and using GitHub actions. This way, you can create a beautiful and maintainable package that your colleagues, customers, and the community can rely on.
Creating a framework-independent PHP package:
• Using the Spatie PHP package to start creating an independent package
• Adding the first class to the package
• Testing a package using PHPUnit
• Automatically fix code style issues locally
• Running tests on GitHub activities
• Fixing Code Style Issues with GitHub Actions
• Using Psalm to Analyze and Troubleshoot Your Code
• Generating Code Coverage Reports Using Xdebug
• Support for multiple PHP versions
• Using semantic version control
• Logging changes
• Registering a package on Packagist
• Publishing a new release on GitHub
• Caring for community contributions
Laravel package creation:
• Using the Spatie Laravel package skeleton to start creating a custom Laravel package
• Adding a config file to a package
• Adding the artisan command
• Adding Models and Migrations to a Package and How to Automatically Test Them
• Adding routes, controllers, and views so that they do not conflict with application routes.
• Running Laravel Package Tests on GitHub Actions
• Using MySQL in Batch Tests and GitHub Actions
• Testing artisan commands using PHPUnit and Orchestra Testbench
• Testing routes, controllers, and views
• Support for multiple PHP and Laravel versions of your package
• Developing a Laravel package inside a full Laravel application
• A stunning 90 minute video of live programming where we combine the knowledge of the entire course to create a real package from scratch. Why Create Packages?
By moving common functionality into packages, your application codebase can become smaller and more maintainable.
Packages can have their own test suite. When a bug is found, you can easily distribute the fix to your applications by simply running composer update.
There are also commercial benefits. With open source packages, you as a developer and your company become much more visible in the community, which can lead to exciting opportunities.
Meet your instructor
Chances are you already have!
Freek Van der Herten is a developer and partner at Spatie, a Belgium-based company specializing in creating Laravel apps.
The company has an open-source first mentality. Freek and his team have released over 200 packages, that are loved by the community, and which have been downloaded for over 75 million times.
Freek also has a passion for spreading his knowledge. In addition to regularly speaking at local user groups and some of the world's best conferences, he also publishes posts on PHP, Laravel, and programming in general at his well-respected blog.